Change ticket contact so the new contact can follow up the ticket, doesn't work

Hello,

We are getting contact requests sent from forms on different websites and the forms come with the website sender email as the contact of the ticket. This way you can not follow up or interact with the user that submitted the contact.

If I manually change the contact name/email on the ticket to the customer contact email … it doesn’t work … the replies of the tickets do not get notified/sent to the new contact of the ticket.

I dpon’t know if this is a bug or that it can not be done . .would be good to make the change contact feature to work.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi there, @jaume

Is this issue related to tawk.to? If so, can you share screenshots so we can better understand what’s happening here?

Thank you.

Hi @karla - the question is, if a ticket comes in from an email from one address, the ticket gets created associated to that contact. Can you change the ticket to be associated to a different contact?

You can edit the contact’s email address but then it seems not to work, the emails will still be going to the original email address.

Please advise.

Hey @BennyIs

Thank you for highlighting the ticket contact email change issue. Upon further investigation, we’ve identified that, especially when a lead is submitted through a lead form, the sender is typically your system. When a ticket is created with tawk.to, the submitter/sender becomes the ticket recipient.

Given this setup, changing the contact’s email might not reroute the replies to the updated email address, especially when dealing with automated tickets generated by form submissions.

As a workaround, we recommend creating a new ticket with the correct contact details. This ensures that you can effectively respond to the form inquiries received from your website visitors via tawk.to.

If you have any additional questions or encounter further challenges, please don’t hesitate to reach out. We’re here to assist you.

Thanks, @karla

After some extensive testing, I see that this is an issue for any ticket, regardless of if the ticket was created by emailing in to the Tawk.to ticketing email, or created from within Tawk.to Ticketing.

Once you have the contact associated to the ticket, if you go to contact info and change the email address, it will not make a change regarding this ticket.

So the email notifications will still go to the original email address, and only emails sent from the original email address will get appended to the ticket, not emails sent from the new address.

Can you replicate this? Will this functionality be fixed/implemented?

Thanks!

Hi @BennyIs

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The behavior you’ve described is by design, and changing the contact’s email address after the ticket creation does not reroute the replies to the updated email.

May I ask why you prefer to change the recipient in the ticket instead of creating a new ticket with the visitor’s email? Understanding your specific use case will help us gather insights for potential improvements.

To effectively communicate with the visitor through a different email address, I recommend creating a new ticket with the visitor’s email instead of updating the old ticket recipient. This ensures that the replies will be directed to the correct email address.

If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. We’re here to help!

1 Like

Thanks @karla - my use case is if another agent has something in email s/he wants to send to me, creates a ticket for me. Then if I want to work with the customer on that issue, instead of making a new ticket, I want to use the same ticket but loop in the customer.

Is there a way to do that?

Hi @BennyIs

You have the option to streamline ticket management by setting up departments in the dashboard or by using the convenient “assign to” feature. Departments play a key role in ticket assignment, ensuring that when a ticket is assigned to a specific department, all members in that department receive the associated email/notification.

This approach minimizes instances where agents spend time on questions beyond their expertise, avoiding incorrect responses. Here’s a brief overview:

1. When an agent creates a ticket for a customer, they use the customer’s email.
  2. The ticket is then assigned to a relevant department, where both you and the agent can be included.
  3. This way, either of you can engage with and address the ticket, enhancing efficiency and expertise alignment.

You can read more about the Creating and Managing Departments here Help Center | tawk.to | Creating and managing departments

Feel free to explore these options and let me know if you have further questions or if there’s anything else I can assist you with!

Thanks @karla - thanks for your response.

The use case I refer to is that first a case is created internally between agents, so the customer’s email is not the email on the case. If one agent then wants to reach out to work on the issue with the customer, we don’t want to create a new ticket, as there would then be duplicate tickets. Rather we want to now set this ticket to be connected to the customer’s email so we can loop in the customer.

What you talk about assigning tickets, it would be great if you can make automatic rules to assign to specific departments. Imagine if we get 20 tech support tickets and 20 billing tickets, someone needs to open each one and assign them, as opposed to just having them auto-assigned based on subject, or where the email getting forward from.

In email, it is very simple. Email us to billing@ and it will go to the billing team. Email us to tech@ and it will go to the tech support team.

But with ticketing, for someone from tech support to open all the tickets, and half of them need to get assigned to another team, is not a great use of time.